Sunday, March 14, 2021

Do you love me?

A deacon at our church in Detroit used to ask me, “Rev, is Jesus in your heart? The first time he asked, I answered rather flippantly, “Well yes.” He shook his head and said, “don’t tell me, show me. I had to think about that. The next time I saw him, he asked again. I nodded, and he shook his head – ‘no”. Aw, but then I got it. So, the next time I saw him he asked me, “Rev, is Jesus in your heart?” My outside smile from my beaming inside showed him, and he nodded and smiled, and said – ‘yeah’. It didn’t stop there, every time I saw Deacon George until he went home to glory he would look at me and nod and smile when he saw my smile.

In John 21:15-17 Jesus asks Peter three times “Do you love me.” I think sometimes we have to be clear what that means. The answer should come from our heart and not necessarily from our mouth. He asks us the same same question “Do you love me? How do you respond? enough for now

No comments: