Sunday, October 31, 2021

Hold On

Psalm 119: 105, 11
5 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
11 “I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.”

Things that keep us.
When my sister and I were small, we learned a new scripture every Sunday, and of course in Vacation Bible school, and then in Weekday Bible school. For some reason, these two scriptures always were together and so I learned them as: “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.Thy word have I hidden in my heart that I may not sin against you.”

It automatically flows together. Look at the power for a child to know that God’s word keeps us through the dark places and shows us the way. Look at what it does for us as adults. Dark places come in so many ways- but God, and his word holds, shows us the way. And when we have that word to hold to, nothing can misdirect us for long. 

Yes, we can be misdirected, distracted, thrown off the path for a minute, but when hold his word close, we are reassured and redirected.  That’s holding his word in our heart. 

As I am writing I remember the year we were in Nassau when hurricane Andrew was about to hit. 
One of the guys with us went out to try to take a picture of what he saw. All he could do was grab a pole and hold on. His legs went out from under him and he wrapped his arms and held on tight, until a few of us got him down. It took a few of us. 

When we hold to God’s word we can hold on for our life. And he keeps us. Oh since then I have many other scriptures that I hold to, that I stand on. That I hold to for my life. What scripture do you stand on? And hold on, help is always on the way- when you hold to him. enough for now.

No comments: