Friday, February 5, 2010

Use a Different Lens

In the DC area people are scurrying getting ready for the big snow. Of course, while I was in Detroit, big snows were never a problem.



Long ago we had a snowfall of 14 inches in Knoxville, TN. Of course it shut everything down. The snow covered all the hills as far as I could see. Nothing was moving on the main road in front of the hill of the luxury complex where I lived. I was an essential employee at the telephone company and was needed at work. I was told if I could get to the main road someone would get me. So I dressed up warmly and started off down the hill determined to walk the two miles to the main thoroughfare.


When I got outside the complex and off the hill (about a fourth of a mile) there on the main road was a thinly worn set of tracks where a few brave had made it through. As I walked, one of the guys from my job pulled up and called my name. I didn’t have to walk the rest of the way to the main thoroughfare.


When we got to the main thoroughfare two of the four lanes were salted and clear. Only a few more switchmen made it in. We heard quite a few excuses of nothing moving.


That day has been with me because it was all in my point of view. Did you see it? After all, this is for you. When I looked out and saw absolutely nothing but snow as far as I could see, and no one moving, it was true. That is all I could see. I couldn’t see the tracks of cars just below my view. I didn’t know that help was closer than I thought. And when I got to the cleared road, people were going about their business. All was just beyond my view.


So many times we get blocked by what we see – our circumstances, our problems, our situations. But when we can determine in our heart to move out of that, just move, head toward the door, God. God gives us a different lens with which to see. And just like that we are on the way. You don’t know where your help will come from, but start out on the journey. type to you later.

No comments: