Sunday, August 28, 2016

Don't Get Boxed In

I talked to my son earlier and could hear some disappointment in his voice. He was to do a triathlon today, but arrived at the transition area one hour too late. When he told me about it, I saw it as an opportunity from God to pause and rest and hear. He felt bad because he is on top of all details, usually. But he is now in a time of 'unusual' for him. You see, he is recovering from a coughing cold, he is a medical student, and the triathlon is in a different time zone. Can you see it? Hold on.

As I sat down to my desk, I realize that I had little projects still open that I normally would have had done. As I started, I jumped from one to another. It was too much clutter on my desk, and I cannot function well like that. I felt boxed in. Not overwhelmed, but just boxed in. So, I paused to get direction and clarity from God. Then I could see my way. Did you hear it?

Many times we find ourselves boxed in with what we usually can handle or how we usually get things done. But God! Yes, but God. Even if our own drive, our own stubbornness to press through, our own pride in handling things, trip us up. . . God. We can pause and get clear directions. Even if we boxed ourselves in, God can open the box. Even when we get discouraged in what we could not accomplish, God can lift us and gift us proper footing.

For all you overachievers, underachievers, and those in between; don't allow yourself to get boxed in with what you once did, with how you use to do it, with how you thought you knew the correct formula for your success. Sometimes the formula changes. You must be ready to go with it. Sometimes the path takes a new turn. Go with it. Rest in what God is doing, i what God can do, in hat God will do. Trust Holy Spirit's lead and not your own. Don't get boxed in. enough for now.

No comments: