Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Voice

A voice cries out: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight the way for the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God”(Is.40:3 NRSV).
I heard the music and tried to make out where it came from. Then I heard a voice singing songs of Zion. Now that is not so very strange but I was on the way to Union Station. And there across from the Massachusetts entrance was a lone man, singing on a microphone. I found myself singing along with him, “Blessed Assurance.” There beside him was a sign that said John 3:16. And then he began to play the music.

Why should this matter? Because, for this day, he was a voice crying in the wilderness of the District rush, “Make way for the Lord.” And I couldn’t help but wonder about my own plight, when I have been concerned that I am not doing organized ministry as I was, yet there is ministry all around. And I realized that I too needed to be the voice on e crying in the wilderness – make way for the Lord. After all, that really is what ministry is about, isn’t it?

No comments: