Sunday, August 21, 2022

Listen

Ez.19-20 NRSV
“I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them; I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, so that they may follow my statutes and keep my ordinances and obey them. Then they shall be my people, and I will be their God.”

As I was reading this I noticed the clocks on my tablet and my phone and I heard an old O’Jays’ song, “Listen to the clock on the wall.” Now, this has nothing to do with that song. But time is moving, winding down, ending. Seasons are passing. 

This passage is God’s promise to Israel. It is our promise - we return to God by releasing any and all idols from our heart. These are those that have turned our hearts cold- to stone. He gives us a new spirit. 
Now - yes we are saved by his grace, but there are places in our heart that we must release. 
Unforgiveness turns to bitterness and becomes our own idol- we hold on to it like it’s a precious gem. That bitterness affects us is so many ways- mentally, physically- spiritually. Stone. 
Lack of trusting God affects us is so many ways as we think we have a better plan than he does for our lives. The crazy part is he gave us our life and he knows what he has for us. It usually does not move the way we think, but it always a more excellent way. Stone. 
Since that is the only two he gave me, let us give them to God - let us release them and be healed. enough for now.

No comments: