Thursday, February 25, 2010

Whose Voice?

When I was young and seriously considering doing something off track from my upbringing, I would stop and consider my parents. No, not so much as how it would affect them (that would come later), but the scope of my punishment. As I grew, and when I could, when trouble tempted me I would think about what I was taught and then go from there. You see, I was raised to know right from wrong; yet, there have times when what is right for me appears to be wrong for everyone else. Oh you know what I’m talking about. Although both parents have been gone so many years, I still know what they would say and how they would say it. It’s called relationship. I know because of the relationship.



Yesterday, I had a mentee to ask me, “How do know when it is the voice of God?” I have been asked that question many times over the years, by young and older, babes in the belief and from those considering ministry. And it is a valid question because there are usually three voices waiting to guide you; the enemy, your voice, Holy Spirit. Two of them do not count. Can you guess which two? You must eliminate the voice of the enemy and quiet your voice in order to hear Holy Spirit. How do you do that? As Doc used to say, “Glad you asked.”


It’s called relationship. In order to know that it is indeed the voice of God directing you – you must be in relationship with God. You can do that through so many types of prayer; through reading the word; through fellowship with other believers; through testing what you hear against what you know to be true of the characteristics of God. And even then – if you are not sure – wait until you are. Your relationship with God though loving and accepting Jesus and following Holy Spirit will guide you on this journey. And when you hear that voice – you will know. type to you later.

No comments: