Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday- Week of Challenge

After the betrayal and arrest, Jesus was held, then brought before Pilate who transferred him back to Herod, who sent him back to Pilate and then Pilate set Jesus before the people who condemned him. He was taken that day to be crucified on the cross.

It was dreadfully painful day for Jesus' followers. While it was indeed an excruciating day for Jesus, he followed his Father's will. Yes, he had prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane that what he was to bear be removed. "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will" (Matt. 26:39 NIV). And here we are, Jesus has died. He followed his Father's will to death. He suffered, bled, and died. That is where we are today. We pause in prayer to contemplate the magnitude of what Jesus did- for us!  His death gave us freedom, His resurrection secured it, but that is in a few days.  Let stay here.

Do you know how free you are? "Jesus would not come down from the cross just to save himself. He decided to die just save me." That is a song we sing; here it is- it is truth. And even in the seven last words from the cross, Jesus set it up for us to live. Contemplate what his last words from the cross mean to you.

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do" (Luke 23:34).
"Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise" (Luke 23:43).
 "Woman, this is your son. This is your mother" (John 19:26-27).
"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matt. 27:46, Mark 15:34).
"I thirst" (John 19:28).
"It is finished" (John 19:29-30).
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit" (Luke 23:46).

Because of Jesus, you can live free, free from anything that hinders you. You can watch what God is doing in your life. enough for now.

No comments: